- January 11, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Surveillance Defence
Ruggedized Displays for Marine & Navy Applications, Extreme Climatic Conditions
Military grade Displays are used in naval craft, both above and below surface, for navigation, surveillance, vessel automation and tactical applications. They are a vital cog in marine operations and play a crucial role in the success of any military mission.
What’s special about Military grade Displays?
Military grade Displays are the most rugged of all electronic displays. Marine versions are designed and engineered to withstand rugged conditions such as extreme weather with wide temperature ranges, high humidity and potentially corrosive climate. These displays must be fail-safe for harsh duty in naval or regular maritime operations where enhanced protection against shock and vibration are imperative. They also need to be shielded from high frequency Electromagnetic Interferences.
Marine LCD Displays are also used for Radar, ECDIS, ARPA and Marine craft piloting and control systems. ECDIS is a Digital Chart Display and Information System that is invaluable in navigation and provides automatic alarms for navigational hazards. ARPA is a Radar Plotting Aid that is automated to provide vital information in surveillance and missile control.
Features of Marine Grade Displays
All electronic display items must be rugged to ensure that they can operate in environments that include:
- Extreme Shock and Vibration
- Extreme Temperatures for extended periods
- Exposure to salt water
- Long-term vibration
- Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)
- Extreme dimming option for Night Vision
The LCD units themselves have a range of additional features, some of which can be customized to suit varying needs:
- Readability in all lighting conditions, including direct sunlight
- LED backlighting for long life and low power consumption
- Automatic backlight stabilization using light sensor to maintain required brightness level
- Waterproofing of front display
- Waterproofing and sealing of all input/output connectors
- Integrated touch screens
- Optical bonding to improve Sunlight Readability
- Superb Clarity and High Contrast Ratio
- Wide range of vibrant and true colors
- Deep dimming to low light or true black
- Screen saver mode to increase life span and prevent image retention
- Dynamic pixel shifting and refreshing to avoid image sticking
- Come in a variety of sizes from hand-held devices to tactical read-out screens.
Marine LCD displays are housed in aluminium or aluminium alloy casings. They can resist corrosion from salt water, as well as most acid and alkaline operating environments. They can also be manufactured with ultra-thin bezels if required.
Suppliers can provide a range of display mounting options including rack mount, panel mount and head mount displays. Given the often limited space available in naval watercraft and aircraft environments, this is vital. Portable displays can also be supplied for some marine applications.
This kind of LCD technology is extremely specialized and thoroughly tested. The ultimate compliment to be stamped on any electronic device is that it is military tested and approved. When difficult and varying marine conditions demand the best equipment, Military grade LCDs are the only way to go.
Creative Commons Attribution:
Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Highness Microelectronics Pvt. Ltd.